Chief Trial and Managing Attorney
For more than 2 decades, Chanel’s career in the legal field has been dedicated exclusively to insurance defense with a focus on the defense of healthcare providers and facilities in medical negligence claims. Beginning her career as a paralegal while pursuing her undergraduate studies and legal education, Chanel then fulfilled her lifelong aspiration of becoming an attorney. A litigator from the start, Chanel has litigated and tried cases in various forums across the state of Florida, including arbitrations, jury trials, and formal hearings before the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings. She devotes her practice to the defense of physicians, nurses, hospitals, and other healthcare providers in claims involving medical negligence, and has litigated claims on behalf of some of the largest health systems and insurance carriers in the State. Chanel also represents healthcare providers in licensing and credentialing matters.
Chanel joined MMPO Defense in May 2023 as Chief Trial and Managing Attorney to establish the Orlando office, working to expand quality legal representation to MagMutual’s Policy Owners and insureds in the Florida market. She is fully cognizant of the significant impacts that medical negligence claims can have on healthcare providers, both personally and professionally, and understands the importance of vigorously defending good medical care. By utilizing a collaborative approach, Chanel ensures that her clients are well-informed and equipped to participate meaningfully in the litigation process, and zealously represents their interests every step of the way.
Chanel is a member of the Florida Bar and is admitted to practice in Florida’s state courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She is also a member of the Orange County Bar Association, the Central Florida Medical Malpractice Claims Council, and the Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety, where she currently serves on the Board of Directors as Treasurer, as well as the Education and Finance Committees. Chanel was recognized as a Florida Elite “Up and Comer” in 2014, a distinction honoring the top attorneys in the State of Florida who exemplify a standard of excellence in their profession as recognized by their peers, and from 2016-2019 received the honor of being named a Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star.
A Florida native, Chanel is proud to represent MagMutual’s Policy Owners in her home state. She currently lives in the Orlando area with her husband and two children.
- BS, Accounting, University of Central Florida (2006)
- JD, Barry University School of Law (2009)
- United States District Court – Florida Middle District
- United States Court of Appeals – Eleventh Circuit
Memberships and Recognition
- Florida Legal Elite: Up and Comers (2014)
- Florida Super Lawyers: Rising Stars (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Lieutenant Governor - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, American Bar Association (2007 – 2008)
- Orange County Bar Association (2011 – Present)
- Board of Directors – Young Lawyers Section (2011 – 2015)
- Executive Board Member – YLS Communications Coordinator (2014 – 2015)
- Committee Chair – YLS Public Relations Committee (2014 – 2015)
- Committee Chair – YLS Oath of Admissions Committee (2011 – 2012)
- Committee Chair – YLS Law Student Mentoring Program (2011 – 2013)
- Central Florida Medical Malpractice Claims Council (2011 – Present)
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association (2022 – Present)
- Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety (2016 – Present)
- Executive Board of Directors – Treasurer (2022 – Present)
- Committee Chair – Finance (2022 – Present)
- Committee Chair – Education (2019 – 2020, 2021 – 2022)
- Sub-Committee Chair – Annual Education Conference (2018 – 2019, 2021 – 2023)
MMPO Defense – Orlando
Senior Trial Attorney
Caitlin has been a successful litigator since she started practicing law in 2009. She has dedicated her entire professional career to defense work, with over a decade’s worth of experience defending long term care facilities, physicians, and healthcare providers of all specialties. Over the course of her career, she has successfully defended clients in both Trial and Arbitration settings against allegations of breaches in the standard of care.
Caitlin joined MMPO Defense in July of 2023 as a Senior Trial Attorney, wanting to focus her skills solely on defending providers in the medical malpractice setting. Regardless of the healthcare setting, Caitlin is aware of the difficult, yet critical decisions her clients make on a daily basis, and works diligently to provide her clients with the representation required to defend those decisions and to support the good care they provide. She works hand-in-hand with her clients to help them understand the litigation process, and to help develop a plan of action that will prepare them for their participation along the way.
Caitlin is admitted to practice in the State and Federal Courts of Florida, including the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, and is also licensed to practice in Connecticut where she was born and raised. She is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
In addition to her active legal practice, Caitlin continues to work as a Volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House of Tampa Bay, where she has served in that capacity for over a decade. She currently resides in St. Petersburg, Florida with her husband and daughter.
- BS, Connecticut College (2004)
- JD, Stetson University College of Law (2008)
- United States District Court – Florida Middle and Southern Districts
- United States Supreme Court
- Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
Katie is a trial attorney who specializes in medical malpractice, defending physicians and healthcare providers of all specialties.
In 2017, Katie earned a Bachelor of Science from Florida State University with a major in Criminology and minors in Psychology and Hospitality. She then continued her studies at the Florida State University College of Law where she graduated with a Juris Doctor in 2020. While in law school, she completed an externship with The Innocence Project of Florida, where she had the opportunity to assist with and witness the exoneration of two men who had been wrongfully imprisoned for 42 years. Katie also worked as a summer law clerk at an insurance defense firm in Orlando, Florida, where she discovered her passion for defending healthcare providers. During her time in law school, Katie was a staff editor for the Business Review, and was awarded Articles and Notes Editor of the Year on the Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law.
Katie joined MMPO Defense in August 2023 because it offered the opportunity to provide PolicyOwners in Florida the legal representation they deserve. Healthcare providers work tirelessly to care for their patients, and Katie takes pride in ensuring those providers have the most capable team standing behind them.
Katie is currently a member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, and Florida Defense Lawyers Association. Katie lives in the Tampa area with her husband and their Labrador Retriever, Ted.
- B.S., Criminology, Florida State University (2017)
- JD, Florida State University College of Law (2020)
Memberships and Recognition
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Articles and Notes Editor of the Year – Business Review, Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law
This is not intended as an advertisement for legal services or to solicit employment for the delivery of legal services. The content is for informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created.